Balcony and Iron Decks Cleaning and RestorationAdmin
If you have a metal balcony and iron decks, they are a value-add to your home. Not only are they resilient and durable, but are also aesthetically appealing. But like many other materials, these too require regular maintenance to prevent corrosion and deterioration.
As mentioned earlier, these features are extremely durable and can last for a number of years as long as they are maintained well and cared for by professional like us at Boston Ironworks. Weather changes and regular wear and tear take their toll and if any paint has chipped or flaked off, it’s important to fix the problem before the rust sets in.
Once metal starts to corrode, it slowly begins to expand and can reach 10 times the original size. This can cause various sections to separate and distort. If your wrought iron metal fence has been set in stone, the latter can develop cracks and become damaged too.
Maintenance Steps to Follow
Here are some steps you can take to ensure the appearance and integrity of your balcony and iron decks stay intact:
- Hire the services of a skilled and experienced blacksmith to carry out repairs such as welding etc.
- Keep an eye open for problems like damaged paintwork, corrosion & failing joints, blistering, pitted surfaces, play and moss growth etc. This early detection can help ensure you catch the problems before they become aggravated and cause extensive damage to the features.
- Get the balcony and iron decks cleaned by experts. They will ensure that all the flaking paint and early signs of rust and corrosion are removed.
- Protect the iron surfaces with two applications of a zinc-based primer.
- Paint your grillwork and metal decks regularly. It’s a good idea to apply two coats of paint.
- Clear all the weeds and moss (if any), from the base of the features.
- If there is extensive deterioration in a particular section, hire a skilled blacksmith to get the damaged section cold-stitched and restored.
Repair and maintenance of balcony and iron decks is a specialized job and it’s important that you hire experienced professionals like us for it. We have the expertise to clean, restore and maintain all types of grillwork and iron decking. For more information on these and any other services, please call Boston Ironworks at 617 657 3117. You can also fill in this contact us form. We’ll get in touch with you as soon as possible.
Copyright © Boston Ironworks