How to Paint and Refurbish Your Fire EscapeAdmin
If you have a fire escape in your building, you’re probably aware that it needs to be well maintained. While many suspect that fire escapes in Massachusetts aren’t really an efficient mode of egress, they still need to be maintained well. You need to conduct regular inspections, check to see if all the blots and fastenings are in place, and make sure that the metal is properly coated and is rust proof.
One of the most essential parts of the regular maintenance of fire escapes is painting. With painting, you can enhance the entire look of the fire escape and the external appearance of your building as well. Here are a few tips on how to paint and refurbish your fire escape.
Things You Would Need for the Project
There are several things you might need on hand to properly paint your fire escapes in MA. Consider the list below:
- Wire Brush – You’ll need this to scrape away the old paint and rust that has accumulated.
- Liquid Detergent – You’ll need to use the detergent to clean the metal completely so that you can apply the new treatment on it.
- Rags – This would be used to wipe the fire escape.
- Paint Brush – To apply the paint. Make sure that you pick a good quality brush.
- Rust Inhibiting Primer – This solution is needed to protect your fire escapes in Massachusetts from further damage.
- Paint – You’ll need an enamel-based or oil-based exterior paint.
- Use the wire brush to scrape away the existing rust and paint. We sure to use a firm hand and remove all traces of damage. Inspect the welded joints and corners carefully.
- After that, dissolve some of the liquid dish washing detergent in warm water and carefully clean the entire surface. Dry the fire escape thoroughly with the rags after the cleaning is done.
- Apply smooth and even coats of rust primer over the fire escape from top to bottom carefully. Make sure that you cover the entire fire escape well.
- Apply two coats of paint after the primer is dry. Allow the paint to dry between coats.
The process of applying paint to the fire escape is pretty simple. Consider the following points and be sure to perform regular quality checks.